from Hydrothermic Remedies...
For removing chest secretions and phlegm
- If problems are confined to single lobe or side of the lung then have the patient lie with that area uppermost. basically:
- So if it is an upper lobe then have him sit up
- if a mid lobe then side lying with that side up
- if a lower lobe then place pillows under the hips and side lie so that the affected side is up and the head is down low
- This position should be maintained for up to 30 minutes or until coughing is no longer productive.
- By vibrating and squeezing on the chest wall with both hands during expiration an assistant can help expel the secretions and add force to the cough. Perform only on 4 breaths then allow a rest.
- Encourage deep breathing
- Work best if patient has drank a lot of water and after Steam Inhalation
- For general lung problems:
- Have patient lie on one side then the other then sit up