SYN: Heart Tonic
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
see also Peripheral Circulatory Tonic
An intrinsic Excitant effect to increase cardiac output
- Collapse under Anaesthesia ie Surgical Shock
- Cardiac Enlargement
- Very short very Cold Sponge to face or chest
- Poor General Circulation:
- Cardiac Insufficiency...
- Cardiac Insufficiency with Pulmonary Congestion ...
- cold Precordial Compress but covering whole front of the chest
- Visceral Congestion especially Renal Congestion #n
- or Acute Nephritis or
- Collapse of Acute Nephritis with Uraemia and Cardiac Insufficiency
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
aimed at the blood vessels and respiration as well as the heart
In: Collapse including asphyxia, drowning and surgical shock
The greatest assistance to the heart is by Stimulating peripheral vessels.
Direct reflex cardiac stimulation is by...
- short, very hot Fomentations to the front of the chest for 30sec - 1min, followed by ice rubbed over the heart.
- Dry and repeat 3-4x then vigorous Dry Friction
- Repeat while CPR is carried out until patient revives.
- slapping chest with cold wet towel
In the newborn not breathing...
- slap chest and buttocks then if still not breathing...
- Alternate Baths in basins - only mild temperatures used, in warm for 10-15sec and only dipped into cold. or
- rub chest with ice while infant in warm bath
- Continue for 30-45min.