Alternate Hot and Cold Shower
SYN: Contrast Shower
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Water: Begin at 38°C / 100°F, tolerance at 43°C / 110°F, Neutral at 34-36°C / 94-97°F
A shower that uses abrupt changes from hot to cold.
- Vigorous tonic
- Superficial hyperemia
- Stimulates metabolism
- As a refresher after a local or general applications of heat.
- Debility from sedentary lifestyle.
- To relieve Fatigue
- Heart Diseases
- Kidney Failure
- Severe Arteriosclerosis
- Hyperthyroidism or exophthalmic goiter/goitre
- Nervous System Irritability
- Hot spray should not be directed over the area of Varicose Veins
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Stool - non-rust
- Shower cap
- Rubber mat on floor a shower so patient doesn't slip.
Preparation for Treatment
- Turn on shower and adjust to proper temperature.
- Make sure patient's feet are warm before entering shower.
- Use shower cap if patient wishes.
- Have stool on hand in case patient becomes faint.
- Have patient get into shower.
- Begin at 38 °C / 100°F and quickly increase temperature to 43 - 44 °C / 110°F (or tolerance).
- Continue at this point for 1 minute.
- Turn off hot tap to quickly lower temperature to faucet for 30 seconds
- Reverse again to hot for about 1 minute and followed by cold for 30 seconds for two more times (total of three hot changes)
- Gradually lower to neutral (36°C / 94-97°F) for 1½ minutes.
- Gradually lower the temperature to faucet cold, providing, however, that the temperature should not be lowered if there is the slightest feeling of chilliness.
Completion of Treatment
- Dry vigorously with friction.
- Patient may rest.
- Get dressed.
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
- Vigorous Tonic and Stimulant "It should not be ventured upon without considerable preliminary training by milder measures."
- Patient must first be accustomed to Revulsive Shower
- Changes should be abrupt
- Begin 41-43°C raising quickly to limit of tolerance for 1min
- Turn mixer quickly to cold for 15-30sec
- Back quickly to hot for 3 complete changes
- Finish with cold and dry well.