SYN: Rheumatics, rheumatic diathesis and chronic rheumatism
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Causes: Stress, fatigue, allergy, injury, infection, cold or damp climate and heredity.
This disease needs a Doctor to treat. All these treatments are adjuncts to medical management and should be applied GENTLY.
- Alternate Baths - 38-43°C 6min and 10-18°C 4min
- Ice Massage and Ice Pack in acute cases and Heat in any suitable form (including general body heating) in the chronic cases.
- For advanced or crippling cases:
- Neutral Tub Bath - 37°C, 2hours, 5x week
- Therapeutic Diet - may be allergic to nightshades or citrus
- Rest - daily naps, regular bed time
- Early to bed, late nights damage joints
- Moderate graduated exercise - swimming and pool exercise - daily gentle range of movement
- Daily Sun Bath up to 30min
- Gentle Trigger Point Workup
- Ice Massage or Aloe Vera
- Tea Tree Oil - five drops in a small amount of other oil and massaged in to each joint.
- Deep breathing exercises
- Stress control through trust in God.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is best controlled by changes in lifestyle...
from Dr JH Kellogg's Prescriptions...
- Improve general health by Short hot applications then carefully
- Warm dry uniform climate
- Oil Rub
- Wet Girdle
- Retention Fever
- Neuralgic Hands
- Radiating Pains
- Swollen Painful Joints
- Spinal Irritation with Numbness and Tingling of Hands and Feet
- Joint Deformity
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
- Articular Effusions - little pain
- Erythema Nodosum
- Inactive Skin
- Joint Pain
- Nervous System Irritability
- Rheumatic Pains
- Superficial Anaemias
- Swollen Painful Joints
- Toxaemia in remission
- Deficient oxidation of protein wastes
- Aseptic Diet
- Sweating Treatments especially Russian Bath - heat body slightly then...
- moderate exercise or where impossible
- vigorous Massage or Dry Friction
If all joints are affected use...
- Keep all heat treatments brief to avoid weakening resistance
- Sweating Pack in flare
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
"...physical therapy is the only treatment of definitely proved value in the treatment of chronic arthritis."
Physical measures used:
- Rest - general and local by splints
- infrared lamp
- Fomentations - however dry heat better
- paraffin bath for hands or feet 54-57°C
- Massage - after heat - begin with light stroking and eventually to petrissage - most valuable
- Exercise - simple and light - not to pain - ROM - after acute
- Hubbards tank - hydrotherapy
Sun Bath - to improve skin health
Chronic stage use: Tonic Sedatives
often due to
to treat this use thorough...
- Alternate Douche (percussion) especially to spine and legs with 5 changes. Followed by either rest or exercise depending on condition
Later in disease use
For painful feet:
- Heating Socks see Burning Feet
If patient is very weak, bed or wheelchair-bound...