SYN: Chronic Fatigue, ME, Nervous Exhaustion, Functional Neurological Symptom Disorder FNsD), Functional Neurological Disorder (FND), conversion disorder
Dr Kellogg says...
The chronic invalid rarely has a fair chance unless he can have brought to bear upon his case simultaneously all the various physiological agents which are indicated. To undertake to cure a chronic dyspeptic by diet alone, by water alone or by electricity or exercise alone or by any other single agent is very much like raising a great building with one jack-screw.
All the lifting agencies possible must be set at work to get these chronic sufferers out of their physiological ruts.
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Kellogg called this Neurasthenia, his treatment follows:
All neurasthenics present with different symptoms and so must be treated accordingly. No one patient will have all or only those problems listed below
Diet is usually a fruit and grain one, some cases benefit from a high milk intake.
Prayer, Faith and Hope are essential ingredients to recovery which may take quite some time.
(Kellogg lists things that interfere with nerve nutrition or use excess "nerve force")
- Excessive mental work especially if disliked or stressful.
- Loss of sleep
- Sexual Excess especially with feelings of guilt
- Dietary errors especially excess meat and stimulating condiments
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, coffee and strong tea
- Habitual use of anti-depressants and sleeping pills
(of course he was guessing, today we're into the viral infection - immune depression theory)
1. Nervous System Impairments
Kellogg felt that these were the real nature of the disease. In some patients the brain was mainly affected, in others the spinal centres, in still others both brain and cord. Graduated Tonic Cold was used in all cases.
All of these treatments also boost the immune system as well, increasing the numbers of white blood cells in circulation, increasing their efficiency and generally building up resistance to disease. Metabolism is also increased. These two factors may account for part of the success Kellogg had although he attributed it all to the nervous effects.
1.1 General Nervous System Impairment in...
- Exhaustion on exercise
- Begin with Cooling Friction or Towel Bath
- Wet Sheet Rub or Dripping Sheet
- Wet Sheet Pack
- Cold Mitten Friction
- short Cold Shower (work up to 2min)
- Wet Hand Rub
- Sun Bath 10min, spend as much time outside as possible
1.2 Brain Impairments:
- exercise in the open air, but not to the point of fatigue.
- For Cerebral Congestion
- For Congestive Headaches (hot, flushed face, red eyes, bulging neck arteries, "bursting" feeling, cold feet and hands)
- some of the above combined with...
- For Frontal Headache
- For Insomnia
- For Vertigo
- For Cold Feet, Legs and Hands
- For Feeling of Coldness between the shoulders
- For Cerebral Anaemia (ie low blood flow as opposed to congestion) usually treatments involve heat to the head to attract circulation
- Fomentation to head
- For Occipital Headache (pain at base of skull at back)
- For Nervous Headache similar to migraine
- Relieve Constipation see below
- For Sensation of Pressure on Top of Head as for Congestive Headache
- Sleep with head elevated
- For Sensation of Band Around Head
- For Eye Pain or Photophobia
1.3 Spine Impairments:
- For Nervous System Irritability (ie where spasms and pains occur easily)
- hot Sponge to Spine
- For Neuralgias
- For Muscle Tension and soreness
- For Trigger Point Pains (Muscular Rheumatism)
- For Sweats especially Night Sweats
- For Flushes
- For Fidgets
- For Insomnia (from irritability not congestion)
- For Reflex Irritations of the Pelvic Organs (ie Irritations of the Reproductive or Urinary Systems)
- For Reflex Irritations of the Digestive System (includes Entero-Colitis and Enteritis, Gastritis and other inflammations) usually accompanied by diarrhoea
- Muscle Weakness especially of legs
1.4 Mental Problems:
(ie toxins, wastes and byproducts in the blood stream or locally in tissues) Most inflammatory conditions involve toxicity. In chronic toxicity symptoms include nausea, headache, insomnia and exhaustion as well as all those listed under Nervous System Irritability above.
- Fruit Diet
- Daily Neutral Tub Bath 1-3 hours
- Cleansing Enemas
- Copious Water Drinking
- Sweating Treatments 3-6min with following Cold Mitten Friction
- Out doors as much as possible
3. Digestive Problems
3.1 Diarrhoea see above
- abdominal Massage
- Increase Water intake between meals especially in the morning
- Abdominal Heating Compress at night
- Fomentation over liver
- Cold Rubbing Sitz
- cold Water Bottle over Stomach ½ hour before meals
- Cold Mitten Friction
from Dr JH Kellogg's Prescriptions...
- Tonics are essential but must be very skillfully handled so as not to allow the cold to worsen the symptoms
- Special attention to digestion, circulation, and nutrition.
- From overwork or weight loss: - Rest
- From mental and nervous exhaustion: - Exercise and diversion
treat these conditions if present
- Chronic Diarrhoea
- Cold Extremities
- Eye Pain
- Muscle Weakness in legs
- Nervous System Irritability with exaggerated spinal reflexes
- Neurasthenic Headaches
- Night Sweats
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
- Uraemia - Uric Acid Diasthesis
- Celiac Irritation from Enteroptosis
- Autointoxication in Dilated Colon
- Anaemic Headache
- Cerebral Anaemia
- Cerebral Congestion
- Cerebral Irritability
- Cold Extremities due to Reflex Irritations vasoconstriction
- Inactive Skin
- Muscle Weakness
- Nervous System Irritability - hot Sponge to spine - Analgesic
- Portal Congestion
- Profuse Perspiration
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Spinal Irritation - Dana's Areas 3, 9, 11 and 17
- Toxaemia - Aseptic Diet
- Aseptic Diet
- Simultaneous Scotch Douche or graduated Scotch Douche
- very hot Percussion Douche early in cases that fear cold
- Cold Douche eventually becomes sheet-anchor
- cold spinal Percussion Douche
- tepid Fan Douche
Alterative especially in chronic cases
Due to excessive cerebral activity, Cerebral Congestion
- cold Plantar Douche
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
- Many causes, always more than one:
- Worry, grief and social or financial disappointment all lead to overactivity of the brain and neurasthenia. So treatment requires Sedatives to secure rest and Tonics to restore normal nerve activity.
- Indigestion, Dyspepsia - always present. Is it a cause or effect of nerve exhaustion?
- Sedentary Lifestyle - lack of outdoor exercise
- Nervous shocks
Condition is a mixture of:
- General nerve and brain exhaustion with vasomotor derangement and unbalanced circulation. These require Sedatives.
- Deranged digestion
- The latest thinking (mid 2000) on chronic fatigue is that the immune system is actually over-active - so don't stimulate it any more. It is probably irritable, as in asthma, so use Pure Sedatives.
- Patient to be trained in proper diet, rest and exercise.
- Variable symptoms so treatment must be individualised. Trial various treatments, take note of effects and patient's reactions.
- Psychology plays an important part so if the patient doesn't like a particular treatment then don't do it.
- Spend time explaining to the patient.
First treatment:to acquaint patient and attendant
- Deep Warm Tub Bath 37°C 15min and Tub Shampoo followed by warm then cool Pail Pour - to test reactivity.
Second treatment: to warm the cold feet and relieve abdominal discomfort - continue as required
Then up the Graduated Tonic Cold ladder.
- Wet Sheet Pack often disliked "restricting, nervous"
- Sitz Bath is very good see Pelvic Congestion , to reduce abdominal and Pelvic Congestion and Enteroptosis
- also - slow Sinusoidal Tub Bath
- Weekly Electric Light Bath 3-4min begin perspiration followed by a Spray with or without Shampoo
- Gardening helps greatly due to effects of
- Free Water Drinking between meals
- Daily Tonic
- Short Sedative each afternoon or night maybe with Massage
- Rest, recreation and gardening between
- At night Wet Girdle
- Don't do many local treatments for specific problems, as this focusses on patient's problems. Integrate in general treatments.
- Excitant in extreme cases