SYN: Fever Treatments, Fever Therapy
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Full Fever Therapy
- Raise body temperature to 38.5-39.5, oral
- Duration: 30min to 4hours daily, depends on temperature...
- The hotter the temperature the shorter the treatment.
- Therapeutic Diet high in salt
- Cleansing Enema the night before treatment
- Fast before treatment but push fluids
- ½ - 2 hours, longer is better if tolerated, but in practice, 30min, when high body temperature is reached is sufficient.
- Rectal temperature to 41°C
- Pulse should not go above 130
- Drink 500cc (2 glasses) of saline water per hour (2 level teaspoons of salt per litre of water)
- Resume regular activities 24 hours after finished
Practical Home Fever Therapy:
- Two sheets
- Two Towels
- large Cold Compress or 3 smaller ones
- Oral Thermometer
- At least 4 litres of ice water and a dipper
- Follow the basics listed above
- Take pulse and oral temperature frequently
- Proceed slowly for the first few treatments so that the patient becomes used to it.
- full Hot Tub Bath 38°C quickly as possible raise to 44°C (this may not be until a later treatment)
- Have patient visit the toilet before entering the bath
- Apply large Cold Compress to head on entering
- Keep water temperature at 44°C until oral temperature is at 39.5°C or required. This may take 10-15 min.
- Apply cloths to knees, if exposed wet with bath water.
When 39.5°C oral is reached:
- do not add any more hot water
- Instead of changing Cold Compress, continuously dribble ice water over it with a dipper. This will make the patient feel much more comfortable.
- Continue for 20-30min. 20 minutes is usually enough.
- Pull the plug
- Dribble water on head and body until patient can stand and get out of the tub.
- If they are very weak make the time less and lift out of tub.
- Dry quickly and have patient lie down with body covered and Cold Compress on head for 30 min.
- 5 times a week for 3 weeks.
- Kills microbes for:-Infections
- Enhance Immune response for infections
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
see Physical Therapy in Nursing Care pp 182-189
Sweating and Revulsive Treatments are "mild" therapeutic fever
"Therapeutic fever is severe and unpleasant treatment."
Where therapeutic fever has been shown to be of definite value:
- Gonorrhoea and its complication
- Syphilis of the central nervous system
- Sydenham's Chorea in children
- Asthma - about 50% of cases are helped
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - in younger cases and use milder heat
- Brucellosis - in individuals with higher BMAT titers
Diseases that give some promise of benefit:
- Bedroom Procedure
- Clothing the Limbs
- Concentrated Food
- Dry Friction
- Dry Shampoo
- Electric Light Bath
- Evaporating Sheet
- General Measures
- Graduated Tonic Cold
- Hot Air Bath
- Immune System Maintenance
- Local Hot Air Bath
- Local Vapor Bath
- Oil Rub
- Russian Bath
- Salt Glow
- Sleep Routine
- Sun Bath
- Superheated Air Bath
- Sweating Treatments
- Therapeutic Fever
- Tonic Effects
- Turkish Bath
- Vapor Bath